Monday, April 14, 2008

Classic Goomba Throwback #1 (Mario Bros)

And another Monday has nearly ended. The end of Mondays are bittersweet. For one we get to go home. But then it means the week is moving forward and we're getting closer to the weekend. Great, right? Until it's another Monday. And it keeps going faster and faster. Ah, I wish I liked the weeks better than the weekends. I'll stop though. This is pessimistic. Instead lets think about the birth of Goomba. I guess the inspiration came from some good old Japanese anti-Italian sentiment. Goomba isn't exactly the nicest word for an Italian person. It's not on the level of the N word or the word that rhymes with maggot but it's not kind. As I understand, the "Goomba" is like a thuggish goon kind of character. He's the Joe Pesci. So really Goomba is a stereotypical characterization. It's like those Jewish miser figurines or jockeys in blackface. I guess I shouldn't support Goomba then. I guess I'm wrong....Hey, I can't help, he's too adorable.


Here we see the first Goomba.


Certain things haven't changed. The basic shape for one. And the eyebrows. He looks a lot angrier here, whereas now he's sorta like a bulldog: angry on the outside, all loveable on the inside. All this talk about birth and Goomba got me to wonder how Goombas are literally created. I guess sex doesn't exist in the Mario universe, although it's heavily implied that Bowser was having way with the princess. And surely Mario and her don't just hold hands. But let's say that the Mario world had to somewhat follow the real world. How do Goombas reproduce? I don't think I've seen any female Goombas, although I should research that a bit more. But as you'll see in future Classic Goomba Throwbacks, baby Goombas do appear to exist. It could be an amoeba sort of thing going on. The most logical answer of course is that Goombas are really robots. Why they don't have googly eyes or metal cranks, you got me. It's the only explanation for how they're so many of them. And it's possible the baby Goombas never grow into full Goombas but simply exist to throw off Mario and play on his sympathy. As if maybe when Mario sees one, he thinks for a second "aw what a cute Goomba" and that'll give the Papa Goomba enough time to attack.
Or perhaps it's only a video game and I have severe issues.

No comments: